Hey there! My name is Ryder McEntyre, I am 21 years old, and I recently moved into the space’s attached apartment.
- Occupation: Senior studying Visual Communications at Berry College. Graphic designer at SAI Digital. Maker-in-Residence at 7hills Makerspace.
- Hometown: Calhoun, GA
- Current Town: Rome, GA
- Hobbies: I obsess over New York Times opinions and style sections, I read a ton of fashion magazines, and I spend way too much time writing poetry. I’m an avid Twitter user and Tumblr guru.
- Android or iOS: iOS.
- PC or Mac: Mac.
- Favorite Book: This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald, As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, Awakening by Kate Chopin, & Shoplifting from American Apparel by Tao Lin.
- Favorite Movies: Metropolitan, Clue, The Royal Tenenbaums, Pulp Fiction, American Beauty, Prince Avalanche, Tiny Furniture, & Rear Window.
- Favorite Music: Feist, Justice, Jai Paul, Kanye West, Arcade Fire, Duke Ellington, James Blake, Mac DeMarco, Toro y Moi, Holy Ghost!, Francoise Hardy, & Jamie xx.
- Favorite TV shows: Always: Twin Peaks, Cybill, and LOST. Currently: Game of Thrones, Veep, House of Cards, The Newsroom, & Inside Amy Schumer.
- Favorite Restaurant in Rome: Schroeder’s New Deli
- Favorite Bar in Rome: Old Havana Bar & Cigar Shop
- Best place to spot Ryder on any given day: Swift & Finch Coffee Company
- Favorite staycation spot: Little River Canyon, Alabama
- Favorite part of Rome: Rome is a small pond right now, and it’s incredibly easy to be the big fish. You can make a name for yourself here, and the people are quality folks. In short, it’s incredibly underrated and more eccentric than meets the eye. Rome’s pace is just right – small town feeling with a lot of big city developments – and it’s competitive without feeling threatening. There’s also a live music scene in the fledgling stages but with a number of excellent local bands with regular performances.
- Next Makerspace project: I’m starting a series of digital works (which I also plan to print and exhibit in a show, eventually) in an attempt to artistically respond to changing social climates in the U.S. I’m also looking to bring my poetry into a 3D space in the next year. Oh, and making curtains for the gigantic windows in my living room! My last project was a conceptual art project. Check it out here: IS THIS WHAT U WANT?
- Best thing about living in the 7hills Makerspace: Enabling massive envy from all of my Instagram followers! Errmm…. I mean…. Okay, seriously, the energy I’ve felt in the past week has been nothing short of inspiring just being inside such a vibrant space filled so often with such vibrant people, all with different dreams and hopes for this small town and their own projects. It’s been a period of personal revival over the past few weeks, and I’m sure it will continue!
- Favorite / most meaningful pieces in the space: My favorite piece in the space is this mid-century modern chair I found at an estate sale literally 5 miles from my childhood home. The most meaningful piece in my home is this knitted throw blanket which I stole from my parents’ house when I went to college. It’s blue and white, and has a bunch of small farm houses on it… Not the most beautiful thing, but I’ll always make space for it on my couch.
Thanks to fellow maker Christian David Photo for the wonderful photography.